Finance: Controller/Director of Finance
Financial Controller - Director level Financial Controller (Los Angeles, CA)
The Financial Controller is responsible for all areas of the accounting function, is a hands-on contributor, effective manager and a leader in the organization. You have a strong accounting and controls background, experience working in fast-paced environments and a drive for continual process improvements. You report to the SVP, Finance and are an integral part of the management team. This is a high-impact, high visibility role. You will supervise a staff of four and are responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and G/L structure for all Betfair US business units.
- Develop, document, and implement new processes and procedures to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Drive accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Ensure timely reconciliation of all accounts and financial reporting requirements.
- Ensure daily banking requirements completed.
- Develop and implement company financial policies, procedures and guidelines contributing to a robust financial controls environment.
- Ensure policies are consistent with those at Group level.
- Review significant transaction for appropriate accounting, disclosure in line with GAAP.
- Monitor and forecast cash flow positions.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Coordinate annual corporate audits
- Coordinate annual tax return preparation and prepare analyses required
- Coordinate bi-weekly payroll with service provider.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance on variance analysis and forecast inputs
- Monitor and analyze department work flow to ensure efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Coach and counsel staff
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advice on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA required (active or inactive)
- Minimum 10 years of experience with increasing accounting responsibilities
- Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience
- Experience working in a high volume transaction business preferred.
- Experience with Payroll and an HRIS system (ADP, TRiNet, etc.)
- Advanced skill in use of Excel including pivot tables, Vlookups etc.
- Exceptional communication skills including verbal, and written presentations with ability to vary message based on audience and content.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Demonstrated success in working effectively with internal management and employees, and external parties
- Demonstrated success in selecting, managing and developing people
- Experience working in fast paced environments
- Accountable, with a sense of urgency
- Experience in e-gaming, Technology, or Gambling industry.
- Experience working within a face paced, creative, “start-up” environment
Physical demands (ADA):
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or use calculator or numerical keys on computer keyboard. The employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time as well as bend, reach, and stoop, or kneel. Moderate physical activity is required, including the ability to lift 15 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. Must be able to multi-task in a constantly changing environment. Requires the ability to meet pressure deadlines and time constraints.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.